I got back from QLD the other day, i was feeling really good, i had a spring in my step, a smile on my face, i was clear-headed and ready to take on the world. Now its Friday, im foggy, dragging myself around and having a good old whinge about anything and everything.
I don’t know if any of you get this but when i come back from holiday, for the first few days i feel amazing, i want to run and dance and sing, uni is fun, work is great, hell, i even love washing up, then you realise, ‘im not on holidays anymore’ and reality kicks in. That essay due next week makes you want to vomit, the washing up becomes a mountain you’d rather not conquer and that slightly warm weather feels like a winter blizzard. Yep that’s right, this is life.
I had so many aims and aspirations, so much I wanted to do!
A life without alcohol came to a halt after my craving for beer, which came hand in hand with a slight hangover (there goes those 7.30 mornings of sun salutation, fruit and joy). I also realised that uni wasn’t as wonderful and that the library full of books wasn’t quite the same as an ocean full of fishies. That morning sun that felt slightly tropical (who am I kidding?) has become kind of arctic.
But what am i complaining about? It’s just the holiday comedown, life seems so wonderfully amazing until you realise that you can’t live everyday free of work and commitments, everyday doesn’t involve rolling into a swimming pool then down to the beach, sipping on cocktails at 9pm in a summer dress (yes it was warm enough!), lying around and pondering on poetry and literature, not having to study it but actually enjoy it! Joy!


So I went to Cairns; heat, sun, water and fishes.
I spent the first few days catching up with my gorgeously amazing mermaid friend Meg. Mermaid Meg. We dove and played in the ocean, we danced and sang and laughed and did what mermaids do. It was fun.
Then I met up with my family and we stayed at Trinity Beach in some luxurious place and we did pretty much nothing for a few days. Very nice. Very relaxing. Proper holiday goodness. We talked about crocodiles and possibly swam with them, didn’t see any, I was kind of disappointed at the time but if I had seen one, I doubt I would have done my mermaid thing quite as much. Oh, almost forgot to mention my most mermaid moment yet, I went on my first dive ever. Loved it. Kind of hooked!
We then headed north up through the Daintree, passing by beautiful Cape Tribulation. Staring in awe at the beautiful big beaches, lying under palm trees, diving into waterholes and skipping through the rainforest. We ended up in Cooktown which is this great town, the last sort of civilisation before Papua New Guinea.

We mingled with the indigenous people and enjoyed being in a somewhat foreign place. I was damming the fact I was from little old Hobart where we are pretty ignorant to the indigenous people of Australia, should I be this fascinated? Anyway, I am super excited to go back, to sit in a pub with them, drink beer all day and hear their stories. They are amazing people and really beautiful.
After Cooktown we headed back down to Cairns, stopping for a night at a roadhouse. It was pretty awesome, like being in an old film, no electricity after 10 and only an old pub to get your white bread sandwich with lots of mayonnaise.
Then we journeyed back down to Cairns, passing through some pretty speccy places and along some wonderfully long, straight and at times boring roads. Aaa Australia.

So thats my holiday. So good. Now i am just yearning for those days, feels like a while ago, its strange how fast you adapt back to reality.
I’m listening to the Broken Bells. That was a good holiday soundtrack.