Last time I posted I was getting drunk in Asia, now I’m playing in the snow in New Zealand. Everyone said to me ‘off again, already?’ Well yes I am and you know what, im never gonna stop! I have the itchiest feet in the world and I want to go everywhere and see everything. So here I am in Wanaka, working up in a café on Treble Cone for the ski season. Currently it is 8am and I was just sent home from work – it was 7 and I was hating being up (but I was up) we were told there was too much snow – too much!! So as annoyed as I am to be awake and waiting for an hour for them to clear it, it’s a dam good thanng! I had my last exam EVER last Monday and I spent the few days beforehand “studying” but really I was preparing to come here. I walked into the exam room and though “shiiiiitttttt” but the fact that it was my last exam ever made it all the better and as everyone says “PPs get degrees”. So now I am coming to terms with no longer being a student, what do I put on forms now?? ‘traveller?’ I spent the next few days moving out of the best house in Hobart. I was pretty sad to leave, and honestly it is the best, amazing people, good times, lots of music and art and dancing. What could be better? Packed up my room and my clothes (how the eff did I get soooo many????) and then packed my bags to come here. Thursday morning I missioned to the airport and driving through Hobart I realized I had left my camera at home and it was already too late to turn around. Missed flight vs. camera. So bugger bum shit. I am left with an iphone for my creativity. Kind of funny that I graduated from a degree in journalism and photography and I don’t even have a camera. So the next couple of days were spent travelling, a quick night in Christchurch and then bussing to Wanaka. I hadn’t really realized the extent that Christchurch was affected by the earthquake, seeing it in the flesh made it reality. it was pretty scary, the city looks like it was struck by a bomb and is in the middle of a war. Everything is rubble and cracked and deserted. A strange ghost-town in the midst of repairs. The bus ride to Wanaka was beautiful, every single minute there were mountains, lakes, hills and sheep. I sat next to a nice guy (I forgot his name as soon as he told it to me) and we spent the ride chatting and watching South Park {as well as taking in the beautiful view of course}. We stopped at Lake Tekapo and seriously this truly is the land of fairy tales. I feel like I am an elfin princess in a dream. Everything is just stunning. First day of work was on Saturday, got up super early and caught the bus up the mountain in the faahreeeezing cold. The weather was pretty bad and I couldn’t see anything but spent the day in training and playing get to know you activities with all my now new friends. That night the All Black whooped Ireland’s butts in the Rugby. of course i went for my sister country New Zealand and then spent the night dancing to reggae. it wasnt easy to get in though, i didnt have my passport and was refused entry. Apparently in NZ I have to carry around my passport if i want to drink. passport+drinking=lost. I managed to sneak my way back in and convinced the bouncer I had shown my passport – silly silly, Spent the rest of the night getting my rasta moves on to some reggae bands.
I have discovered wanaka’s finest – the view (not hard to discover it really) and their version of the tip-shop ‘waste-busters’. i raided the shop and walked out with a whole new wardrobe, you know how I asked before how do I get all these clothes?? Well that’s how. I get way too excited by vintage junk.
My second day of work was spent in coffee training and alcohol tasting. Hard life eh? So spent the day drinking delish coffee and trying New Zealand wine (amazing) and then 4 different types of schnapps and then a couple of cocktails. So its fair to say I was a little giggly after all that. Making coffee never seemed this fun! So its cold, im busy, im waking up way too early but its really bloody beautiful and I think I am falling in love. i apologise for the instagram shots, but they do have that trendy sort of look.