I always dreamt of keeping this blog completely up to date but the thing about travelling is that you get completely distracted and completely immersed in your own little travel cocoon, forgetting that the outside world actually exists.
This is what has happened to me, in fact to the point where I am deliberately missing my flight home so I can spend an extra couple of weeks making my way around South East Asia.
So I am in Laos, I am currently on the most horrible bus ride from Vang Vieng (party mayhem) to Four Thousand Islands (chillaxing and being cultural). The bus is bumping and bouncing all over the place and honestly it is pretty difficult to type.
On a whim Kait and I decided to head to Laos, I had one week left and wanted to have some fun because you all know how boring Thailand is. Anyway I was over the delish food and the temples, not realllyyyyyy…
but I really wanted to go to Vang Vieng and put myself at risk of being one of the many who never return. And I honestly think it was quite possible to happen. To anyone, not just to me.
I had the craziest four days, well four afternoons, the days consisted of marathons of Friends, Family Guy and South Park, whilst consuming greasy terrible Western Food and trying to remember the events of the previous night.
In the afternoons we hopped in tuk-tuks and headed to bar one. Greeted with a whiskey shot and a wrist band (by the end of it you have an arm of colour and you seriously look like an alcoholic) and then you proceed to get a bucket (a sand bucket filled to the brim with vodka and other nastiness – for all you non-asia travellers), or if you feel a bit sorry for yourself you get a beer but its not long before you give into the lethal bucket, or the whisky train, or the musical tubes, or the beer pong, or the dancing. Aaa. Its kind of impossible not to end up doing something embarrassing.
But the funny thing is, we went there to go ‘tubing’ which is basically hopping on a rubber ring and floating down the river, stopping from bar to bar. As it is dry season, the river is really low and if you pop on a tube you will get a scratched back and not have a whole lot of fun. And also it’s a rip off and a con and most people lose a lot of money in the process.
So you basically walk from bar to bar, and most of the time you only make it to the third bar. I was pretty proud the day I made it to bar five but it was pretty dead and we soon went back to bar four..
and then its off in the tuk-tuk, drunkenly singing the lion king theme and heading to a restaurant for some much needed food and then on to bucket bar for free buckets. Yes the night does not stop (for the most of us)
So after four nights of solid partying – maybe I should say three and a half, as I gave up half way through on the fourth, I was pretty ill, tired, bruised, injured in ways that could only happen in asia (motorbike burn – HOW???) and I was ready to leave….
Unfortunately I did not get one single picture whilst I was in vang vieng, so here are some others of my adventures…
drunk guy in a bar in laos

laos lady